Re: Properties

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 05:25:43 CDT

    2011/5/18 Ken Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>:
    > On 5/17/2011 1:04 PM, fantasai wrote:
    >
    > I'm looking for this information in order to complete this appendix:
    >   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#script-orientations
    >
    > Well, that is part of the conceptual problem we are having here, then.
    > That draft appendix refers to the concept of "vertical scripts in Unicode
    > 6.0"
    > as if that concept were actually defined normatively in Unicode 6.0,
    > and the problem is merely acquiring the precise listing somehow.
    > But Unicode 6.0 (or any earlier version) does *not* define "vertical
    > scripts".
    >
    > This is handled better in the css3 text by the beginning of Section 5,
    > which divides scripts into three types, defined right there:
    >
    > horizontal-only Scripts that have horizontal, but not vertical, native
    > orientation.
    > Includes: Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari
    > vertical-only Scripts that have vertical, but not horizontal, native orientation.
    > Includes: Mongolian, Manchu
    > bi-orientational Scripts that have both vertical and horizontal native orientation.
    > Includes: Han, Hangul, Japanese Kana
    > I think the horizontal-only definition is fine.

    I don't think so. There's still the need to make a distinction between
    scripts that have a horizontal-only "native" orientation.

    - Latin (also Greek, Cyrillic, Coptic, Hebrew and many others) can
    still have two types of "non-native" vertical orientation : with or
    without rotation (and without rotation there are still some specific
    issues when rendering some small groups of characters like pairs of
    digits side-by-side).

    - Arabic (including the specfic Urdu style which has its own
    presentational features regarding alignment) and Devanagari and a few
    others, can only be rotated when rendered vertically, due to their
    joining behavior.

    These same "joining" scripts are also concerned with the issue of
    justification. For example how to insert kashidas and how to align
    them (this is more complex with the Urdu style in the Arabic script).

    I'm not even sure that the current OpenType specifications are
    sufficient to handle this last case consistantly with all font
    families and styles for joining scripts, and it would probably be
    simpler to just elongate or condense complete horizontal spans of text
    using a transform matrix (but with a bad effect on weight, that could
    be corrected by using an inverted matrix before applying font hinting,
    but then with issues regarding the caching of prerendered glyphs...)

    But then, if we want to be more complete, there's also a similar case
    with Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, and others in the first subcategory
    above, if they are rendered in a cursive (joined) style: a
    justification only based on spacing or repositioning of individual
    glyphs will not work. Can a CSS implementation detect when a font uses
    a cursive or joining style, and adapt its rendering algorithm ?

    Note that justification does not affect much the horizontal-only
    scripts that are to be rendered vertically without rotation. We could
    still assume that document authors will not want to use this style
    with cursive fonts or joining scripts.

    But there's currently no warranty that this will not happen (due to
    the way the fonts families are tested, and the possible presence of
    font fallbacks). How can we then ensure that the rendered text will be
    readable ? Can the renderer reliably autodetect the cursive/joining
    type of the selected font without some additional properties encoded
    in fonts themselves ? If not, how to restrict the use of full
    justification between pairs of glyphs using uniform kerning ?

    -- Philippe.