Re: Slots for Cyrillic Accented Vowels

From: Christopher Fynn (chris.fynn@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 20 2011 - 03:46:28 CDT

    On 19/05/2011, Plamen Tanovski <pgt@tanovski.de> wrote:

    > I've just tested some "standard" fonts, see the attachment or get the
    > pdf here:
    >
    > http://www.tanovski.de/testcomb.pdf
    >
    > It was made with OpenOffice (WordPad produces the same picture) on
    > WinXP. The first letter is the combined cyrillic vowel, the second is
    > Aacute. Do you see the difference? One font can't even display
    > properly the digraph! On Linux, it looks similar too.
    >
    > Still, thanks to all, who replied. I've learned a lot.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > --
    > Plamen Tanovski
    > Tanovski & Partners Publishing Services
    > www.mengensatz.de
    > Tel. +49 341 3 08 57 60

    Some of your problems may be due to the limitations of the OpenType
    shaping engines found in Winsows XP (Uniscribe / usp10.dll) and Linux
    (Pango). The way these are currently implemented makes combining glyphs from
    different scripts difficult. This is not so much a limitation of
    Unicode or of OpenType but a limitation of the particular software
    used on those platforms to process the OpenType instructions in fonts.

    - C