Re: ./. sign – a known name?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:03:48 +0200

2011/6/12 Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>:
> 12.6.2011 19:43, Andreas Stötzner wrote:
>
>> The sign ./. is known in juridical context, meaning “against” in case
>> description.
>>
>> But the sign ./. is also known from manuskripts as an indicator for
>> “turn page!”
>> Does anyone have ever came across aspecific name for tht symbol?
>
> Do you mean the three-character symbol “./.” or some single-character symbol
> that looks like it?
>
> I’m not aware of the usages you describe, but I have seen usage where the
> three-character symbol “./.” appearing in the margin of a document is a
> reference to an attachment (i.e., indicates that there is an attachment
> related to the text).

For the meaning "continued on the next page" (at the bottom of a
page), or "continued from previous page" (at the top of page), I've
much more often seen ".../..." (using a regular ellipsis instead of
single dots ; the encoding of the ellipsis itself is most often found
using three dots from ASCII, instead of the ellipisis character
itself, for compatibility reasons or simly for ease of typing). The
notation using single dots would look too much as an alternate
percentage sign for readers.

-- Philippe.