Re: unicode Digest V12 #108

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:02:03 -0700

On 7/2/2011 8:59 AM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> 2011/7/2 Andrew Miller<A.J.Miller_at_bcs.org.uk>:
>> The "ng" in Llangollen is not the digram "ng" but two separate letters
>> (unlike the "ll" in the name which is the digram).
> Why not simply using a soft hyphen between "n" and "g" in this case ?
> Soft hyphens are normally recognized as such by smart correctors and
> as well by search engines or collators. It seems enough for me to
> indicate that this is not the Welsh digram "ng" ; CGJ anyway is
> certainly not the correct disjoiner in your case.

This solution works well if the word can split between the n and the g.

In fact, if such split is possible, I would call it the preferred
solution to indicating an "accidental" digraph.

An example:

The Danish digraph "aa", normally spelled "å" in modern orthography, but
retained in names etc. can occur "accidentally" in compound nouns, such
as "dataanalyse". Adding a SHY is the preferred method to indicate that
the "aa" is accidental.

Other characters may have the same effect of breaking the digraph, their
use might require an *additional* SHY to be inserted, if and when a
linebreak opportunity needs to be manually marked (say for an unusual
compound not recognized by the automatic hyphenator). It would be bad to
have to have *two* invisible characters at that location.