SHY, CGJ, etc. (was: Re: unicode Digest V12 #108)

From: <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 04:07:09 +0000

I'm a bit concerned about the implication that correctly encoded Breton, Welsh, etc. Unicode text needs to be sprinkled liberally with SHY or CGJ or other invisible formatting characters, to resolve any possible ambiguity in these languages' orthographies. This is like saying English text needs to have a SHY at every potential hyphenation point, so text processors don't have to use a dictionary to hyphenate.

I can easily see this thread being misinterpreted or taken out of context by newcomers, or reposted or blogged by someone eager to make a point about unneeded complexity in Unicode. Really, for 99.9% of applications, shouldn't we just write the letters?

--Doug
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T