Re: unicode Digest V12 #108

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:00:52 -0700

On 7/6/2011 11:18 AM, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> The Danes, over a decade ago, when they made the official
> recommendation to use SHY appear to have come to the conclusion that
> "AA" can never occur accidentally, except at word division in compounds.

Not really a safe conclusion. :)

http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Aaron

Although I guess it depends on what the meaning of "aaccidental" is. The
point
here is that in citations of non-Danish names in Danish text, an "aa"
can never be equated
to an å, but nor would you want to insert a SHY between the a's in that case
to distinguish the sequence.

--Ken