Re: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: John W Kennedy <jwkenne_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:18:59 -0400

On Jul 19, 2011, at 9:20 PM, Peter Constable wrote:

> So you want to be able to discuss NBSP (say) in plain text. You can already do that; in fact, you have multiple ways that everybody here will have no difficulty understanding:
>
> "NBSP"
> "no-break space"
> "U+00A0"
>
> Creating a different character for SYMBOL FOR NBSP doesn't make communication here any easier; in fact, it would lead to confusion as to whether you are, in fact, meaning to refer to NBSP or to SYMBOL FOR NBSP.

But it's futile to argue that. People in the real world have been using such conventions going back at least to the early 1960s, and, the last I heard, Unicode is supposed to be used to encode the characters that people use.

--
John W Kennedy
Read the remains of Shakespeare's lost play, now annotated!