Re: Sanskrit nasalized L

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:34:09 +0200

2011/8/16 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>:
> On 8/16/2011 1:57 AM, Andrew West wrote:
>>
>> On 16 August 2011 02:59, Richard Wordingham
>> <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> All I've got to go on is the penultimate sentence in TUS 6.0 Section
>>> 10.2 - 'Rarely, stacks are seen that contain more than one such
>>> consonant-vowel combination in a vertical arrangement'.
>>
>> <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0/ch10.pdf#G30110>
>>
>> Which is followed immediately by the caveat:
>>
>> "These stacks are highly unusual and are considered beyond the scope
>> of plain text rendering. They may be handled by higher-level
>> mechanisms".
>
> That's all well and good.
>

> The question is: have any such "mechanisms" been defined and deployed by
> anyone?

I had the same feeling when first reading this. Because it does not
say if the text fragments, containing parts of the vertical stack, can
effectively be encoded, and how... For now, I suspect that they can
only be represented by graphics, and not by some series of UCS code
points (except possibly a "defective" one, i.e. without a base letter
for the lower parts of the stack).

So, is there, for such use the possibility of encoding a null base
consonnant for holding the lower parts in fragments whose layout will
be controled by such "higher-level mechanism" ?? Or can we use, for
example, a zero-width space ?

-- Philippe.