Re: Private Use Variation Selectors (was: RTL PUA?)

From: <vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:30:28 -0700

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
> On 19 Aug 2011, at 15:51, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
>
>> On 08/19/2011 08:11 PM, vanisaac_at_boil.afraid.org wrote:
>>> why there weren't private use Variation Selectors.
>>
>> Because you are already free to use PUA codepoints as VSs?
>
> Because the existing VSs are sufficient?

Quote from 16.4: Standardized variation sequences are defined in the file
StandardizedVariants.txt in the Unicode Character Database. Ideographic
variation sequences are defined by the registration process defined in Unicode
Technical Standard #37, “Unicode Ideographic Variation Database,” and are
listed in the Ideographic Variation Database. Only those two types of variation
sequences are sanctioned for use by conformant implementations. In all other
cases, use of a variation selector character does not change the visual
appearance of the preceding base character from what it would have had in the
absence of the variation selector.

This seems to not allow for private compact use of Variation Selectors. Am I missing something here?

-Van