Re: RTL PUA?

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:32:50 +0100

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:51:22 -0700
"Doug Ewell" <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

> Some PUA properties, like glyph shapes and maybe directionality, can
> be stored in a font. Others, like numeric values and casing, might
> not or cannot. An interchangeable format needs to be agreed upon for
> the properties in the latter category.

I suggest that the obvious format is that used for capturing the UCD in
XML. Only the characters in which you are interested need be
specified. One very important property for several scripts is the
script to which a character belongs.

One reason for associating properties with a font is that text that is
to be displayed is at that point tentatively associated with a font.
Another is that in a multi-font document, a PUA character could
have multiple implicit properties dependent on the font it appears in.

Richard.