Re: searching for PUA characters

From: Bill Poser <billposer2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:16:29 -0700

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Lorna Priest <Lorna_Priest_at_sil.org> wrote:

> The recent discussion on PUA characters reminded me of a question I've had.
> I am wondering if anyone has a tool whereby we could search for all
> documents on a local computer (or server) that use PUA codepoints. I suppose
> what I'd like is to be able to identify beginning and ending codepoints to
> search for, such as "F130..F32F" or something along that line.

I have a utility called unidesc, part of my uniutils package (
http://billposer.org/Software/unidesc.html), that identifies the ranges to
which characters belong. You could run this on the various files and check
the output for "Private Use Area". To obtain a sorted list of the ranges
found in a file (rather than the default of the range to which each portion
of the file belongs), use the -r option. This is runs on Linux and BSD
systems, so probably can be compiled for MacOS too. I don't know about MS
Windows.