Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 01:14:12 +0200

I was talking about purely typographic ligatures, in particular
ligatures used because the glyphs (normally spaced) would otherwise
overlap in an unpleasing manner. If the glyphs don't overlap (or
there is extra spacing, which is quite ugly in itself if used in
"normal" text), no need to use a (purely typographic) ligature.
So it is a font design issue. (And then there are also ornamental
typographic ligatures, like the st ligature, but those are outside
of what I was talking about here.) But of course, which pairs of
letters (or indeed also punctuation) are likely to occur adjacently
is language dependent.

    /Kent K