Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Stephan Stiller <sstiller_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:32:53 -0700

Actually, I *was* talking about purely typographic/aesthetic ligatures
as well. I'm aware that which di-/trigraphs need to be considered from a
font design perspective is language-dependent. But the point is that I
observe that:
(a) aesthetic ligatures are not frequently seen in modern German print and
(b) the absence of such ligatures doesn't offend me (in modern German
print).

It could be - and a quick visual check confirms this - that the fonts
used for printing of {novels, school textbooks, tech/science books, ...}
and the associated kerning tables don't necessitate ligatures or have
traditionally (fwiw) not been seen as necessitating them. Enough
professional publishing houses I _think_ don't use aesthetic ligatures,
so that, whenever I do see them in German text, they stand out to me. So
/de facto/ usage of aesthetic ligatures seems a bit like a locale
parameter to me.

That said - if I'm really factually wrong (and ligatures in modern
German text are just so subtle and pervasive that I never took notice),
people on the list please feel free to correct me.

Stephan