RE: Continue:Glaring mistake in the code list for South Asian Script

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:59:14 +0000

Once a script is encoded, the reference name used in the Standard for the script becomes part of stable character identifiers that _cannot be changed_. This is not just Unicode policy; this is policy of ISO JTC1/SC2. The reference name "Bengali" for the script in question cannot be changed. The most that could be done would be to add a comment indicating that the script is also known as "Eastern Nagari" or that the script is used for Assamese, Manipuri, and other languages as well as the Bengali language. But, in fact, the Standard already says this--see TUS 6.1, section 9.2, page 985 (http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0/ch09.pdf):

<quote>

9.2 Bengali (Bangla)

Bengali: U+0980–U+09FF

The Bengali script is a North Indian script closely related to Devanagari. It is used to write
the Bengali language primarily in the West Bengal state and in the nation of Bangladesh. In
India and Bangladesh, the preferred name for the script and the language is Bangla. The
script is also used to write Assamese in Assam and a number of other minority languages,
such as Bishnupriya Manipuri, Daphla, Garo, Hallam, Khasi, Mizo, Munda, Naga, Rian,
and Santali, in northeastern India.

</quote>

If there is any reasonable revision to this informative text that you think would improve it, you should submit that feedback; you can do that using the online feedback mechanism at http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html.

Peter