Re: Continue:Glaring mistake in the code list for South Asian Script

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:46:53 +0100

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:33:47 +0600
Chridtopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Characters only used for writing Assamese in the "Bengali" block is
> similar. As long as you can type all the characters necessary for
> writing your language, don't worry about names.

Actually, names sometimes matter. If one is forced to use a pick list
when typing, it is helpful to see the name of the character if the pick
list displays the character poorly. However, apart from a few
totally confusing howlers (especially in Lao), that is largely an
internationalisation issue.

In this context, though, it is probably best to mutter, 'Unicode
idiots call the Assamese script Bengali' rather than totally confuse
people. (I presume the Assamese are happy with the concept that
Bengali uses the Assamese script.)

Secondly, some people need to be able to type other people's languages
- a great many people need to be able to type English! I imagine Anbu
  needs to work with several scripts.

Richard.