Re: ligature usage - WAS: How do we find out what assigned code points aren't normally used in text?

From: Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:19:27 +0200

Den 2011-09-10 20:58, skrev "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>:

> There is a deeper language-dependency. According to Oxford Style Manual,
> one should not use the fi ligature in Turkish, as that would obscure the
> distinction between normal i and dotless i (ž). This makes perfect sense
> to me.

It does not make perfect sense to me. Rather that:

*If f followed by i is such that their font glyphs overlap (using
normal letter spacing), making a ligature appropriate, makes that
*font* unsuitable for Turkish, as such a ligature would obscure...*.

If that is what you (and other who have said the same thing) meant,
then fine. But taken at face value, your statement does not make
(typographic) sense.

    /Kent K