Re: Noticed improvement in the Code chart link http://www.unicode.org/charts/

From: delex r <delexr_at_indiatimes.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:47:49 +0530 (IST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Benjamin M Scarborough <benjamin.scarborough_at_utdallas.edu>
To: unicode_at_unicode.org, delexr_at_indiatimes.com
Sent: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 03:19:17 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Re: Noticed improvement in the Code chart link http://www.unicode.org/charts/

On 2011.09.27 22:56, delex r wrote:
>I hope a proposal will come in near future to include an additional letter 'Khya' which is as per our (Assamese)script is not considered as a biconsonantal conjunct as in Devanagari 0915 (Hex) + 0937 (Hex)and instead given a full fledged letter status.( I checked in my primary school alphabet book).

From the quick bit of research I've done, it seems that khya is currently represented by the sequence U+0995 U+09CD U+09B7 (BENGALI LETTER KA, BENGALI SIGN VIRAMA, BENGALI LETTER SSA). As such, Unicode's policy would be not to encode khya as a separate letter unless a very compelling case is made to disunify it—and the argument that it's a single letter in Assamese isn't strong enough.

However, U+0995 U+09CD U+09B7 can be made a named sequence, which means that one name would be available to identify the sequence as if it were any ordinary character.

—Ben Scarborough

>unless a very compelling case is made to disunify it—and the >argument that it's a single letter in Assamese isn't strong >enough.

"Complelling case"....... Pls let us be explained more about it ? Also pls inform how a " compelling case" may be made to Unicode to make them update the linked pdf file by replacing "BENGALI" s by "ASSAMESE"s at all appropriate places.

Delex R