Re: [indic] Lack of Complex script rendering support on Android

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:04:12 +0530

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Unicode mailing list who could look into this and let us know if there
> are any plans for general support of complex scripts on Android phones
> and tablets?

Yep I'd like to hear this too since just last night I placed an order
for a Sony Ericsson Neo V, and SE has promised the update to ICS.
Hopefully ICS will make things easier for such additions to happen.

> Samsung have apparently included complex script support
> on a few devices they sell in India.

The HTC Explorer is also said to have support for Indic scripts
(although I didn't buy it for other reasons). One website claims it is
"the first Android smartphone to support Indian languages":
http://www.bgr.in/2011/09/29/htc-explorer-launched-in-india-for-rs-12650/

I also cc a friend Shivakumar who said they have developed a
Harfbuzz-based plugin (or whatever) that installs support for Indic
scripts even without built-in support in the system and without
rooting the system. Donno if their project has been officially
released yet, though.

It is my expectation that such "scratch-your-itch" projects as above
eventually get integrated into the mainline software.

--
Shriramana Sharma