Re: [indic] Re: Lack of Complex script rendering support on Android

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 13:33:28 +0530

2011/11/8 கா. சேது | කා. සේතු | K. Sethu <skhome_at_gmail.com>:
> If this [http://androidos.in/2011/10/android-4-0-features-that-google-missed-to-mention-at-launch-event/
> ] blog article was correct, then in-built support for Tamil should get
> in with ICS.

This is silly. Are they custom-coding support for just these three
scripts? What's the big deal? By just plugging in HB they can get hey
presto support for all Indic scripts that HB supports as and when HB
supports them. With the modular nature of libraries (as I understand
it) hopefully it would be possible for HB to be updated on its own
(like on desktop systems) without needing for the entire phone
software to be updated (??? wishful thinking?).

> And Shriramana, you are one of theHarfBuzz testing volunteers listed
> in: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/HarfBuzz/Indic for Tamil and
> some more languages. Is the HarfBuzz (NG) redevelopment for Tamil
> completed?

I am not sure. I am only now getting my HB-legs and due to being
engrossed with finishing my thesis haven't spent much time on it
recently. Hopefully will rectify soon. You can ask on the
harfbuzz-indic list.

--
Shriramana Sharma