Re: Continue: Glaring mistake in the code list for South Asian Script / Naena Guru

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:40:05 -0500

On 10 Nov 2011, at 04:14, delex r wrote:

> I am an Indian. Are you too?

That's nice and irrelevant.

> They should know that “Assamese” language is not written in “Bengali” script.” It is actually the other way round.

Why? Who cares? These are *words*. Get over it.

In my native language, there is a language called Assamese, and another language called Bengali. Both of these are written in a script which in my native language has been called Bengali for a very, very long time. I think it is really very impolite of you to complain about what my native language calls things.

> Well I am trying to tell Unicode that “Assamese” is not a barbarian language without a script.

No. It is a noble and beautiful language with literature and poetry. And it is written in a script which in my native language is called Bengali.

English too is a noble and beautiful language with literature and poetry. And it is written in a script which in my native language is called Latin.

And I don't complain about it.