Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: satai <satai_at_akauri.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:19:29 +0400

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin_at_acssoft.de> wrote:
> In my eyes, the sequence "(U+FE22,U+FE26,U+FE23)" in fact is
> implicitly introduced, as otherwise the whole mechanism would be not
> systematic.

I agree. But in my humble opinion it is not completely clear, because
one may also expect combining tilde or combining double tilde instead
of U+FE26. Thus, clarification would better cover this also.

> If anybody has a convincing example of a tilde spanning over more than
> two characters, please tell, maybe then a revision of WG2 N4078 or a
> supplemental document for it can be made, containing that sequence.

Samples could be found in Capelli's dictionary (A.Cappelli. Dizionario
di Abbreviature Latine ed Italiani. Milano, 1912). E.g. on page 340 it
seems to be exactly the required examples (I am grouping symbols below
tilde with round brackets) for (sal) = salma, S(alnj) = Salerni,
S(alt) = Salutem. Scan is available at
http://www.hist.msu.ru/Departments/Medieval/Cappelli/CPLLI340.HTM.

And thank you for detailed explanations!

Best regards,
Alex.