Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:33:07 -0600

For you to be able to read Sinhala Unicode two things must happen. First,
like for all text, the font has to be present. The systems sold outside Sri
Lanka do not have Sinhala Unicode, which is understandable because the
community is very small.

Then there are cases where even if you have the font, the characters do not
combine. You all may have seen the Sinhala font, but how do I know you if
you could actually read it? Here is a screen shot someone sent me two days
back asking me to fix it. I could not help the person, and that is tragic.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0OoSILYvguZZDMzYzE1MDUtMjk2OS00YWI3LTk3NGItMDAyYzY2MmYwNWEy&hl=en_US

The first characters you see in this screen shot is ශ්‌රී. These are two
letters that should combine to form this letter: ශ්‍රී . Combinations do
not happen anywhere and it is gibberish for the reader.

As far as I can understand, he has Uniscribe installed through 'files for
complex scripts'.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Tom Gewecke <tom_at_bluesky.org> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Naena Guru wrote:
>

> > I made many here very angry.
>
> Not into anger myself, but you certainly lost my respect when you insisted
> we could not read Unicode Sinhala text on our machines....

Question remains.