Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: Asmus Freytag <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:40:10 -0800

On 11/15/2011 7:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> It is different. ... If the title of page is in Latin script
>> displayed as Singhala by a font, I can't display Latin and Singhala
>> titles in tabs without accepting the font of the page or manually
>> changing fonts.
> It is not different. It boils down to the same thing: you must use
> fonts that do the job.

Yes, it is different.

A font based solution cannot handle both Sinhala and English without
marking up the text somehow.
A Unicode-based solution does not need this.

There are plenty of instances where multiple languages occur in a single
span or single HTML element without any markup delimiting their
boundaries. Unicode handles these cases quite fine, in fact, it's one
the design points.