Re: combining: half, double, triple et cetera ad infinitum

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz_at_gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 04:34:59 -0500

> Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 00:40:10 -0800
> From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
> CC: David Starner <prosfilaes_at_gmail.com>, unicode_at_unicode.org
>
> On 11/15/2011 7:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> It is different. ... If the title of page is in Latin script
> >> displayed as Singhala by a font, I can't display Latin and Singhala
> >> titles in tabs without accepting the font of the page or manually
> >> changing fonts.
> > It is not different. It boils down to the same thing: you must use
> > fonts that do the job.
> >

> Yes, it is different.
>
> A font based solution cannot handle both Sinhala and English without
> marking up the text somehow.
> A Unicode-based solution does not need this.

I agree.

If it sounded that I think the smartfont solution is a good one, then
for the record: I never said that (and I don't think it is). But that
has nothing to with the issue of which font is selected by the browser
or its user to view the page. The disadvantages of using the
smartfonts for solving this kind of problems are much more
fundamental.