Re: missing characters: combining marks above runs of more than 2 base letters

From: Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:58:55 -0800

On 11/18/2011 5:36 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> I have absolutely no clear way to represent sequences like in this
> example that use such elongated diacritic applied to runs of more than
> two characters.

Nor should you expect to be able to represent such things in plain text.
Such
conventions are not appropriate to plain text. As usual, your regular
alternatives
are:

1. represent the content with structured markup, or

2. represent the presentation with pdf (or similar)

Expecting out-of-the box rendering engines to link the two automatically is
unreasonable, IMO.

> Of course I can still use two half marks in the
> plain-text (only on the first and last letter), but what does happen
> if I cannot (and in fact don't) mark their joining above intermediate
> letters ?

You'll get *both* bad representation of the content and bad presentation
of the appearance. Such a deal!

--Ken