Re: missing characters: combining marks above runs of more than 2 base letters

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:36:14 +0100

This example is also NOT a titlo. What I am looking for here, is the
possibility of using a conjoining middle mark for connecting the two
half marks of the inverted breve (in fact top create a long arc).

But I cannot use the middle conjoining U+FE26 on the middle letter(s)
with the U+FE20 and U+FE21 half marks, because it is only expected to
join them at a precise height, and U+FE26 would most probably not join
with U+FE20 and U+FE21 half marks.

And in HTML/CSS, there's still no way to represent it using their
rich-text feature, without also breaking the encoding of the joined
letters (which would become part of a separate image object appearing
in the middle of words: there's no such "decoration" feature defined),
and also prohibiting the contextual styling of text (including the
preervation of fonts used to represent the adjoined/elided letters and
the rest of the text around them.

I have absolutely no clear way to represent sequences like in this
example that use such elongated diacritic applied to runs of more than
two characters. Of course I can still use two half marks in the
plain-text (only on the first and last letter), but what does happen
if I cannot (and in fact don't) mark their joining above intermediate
letters ?

-- Philippe.