Re: name change

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:35:09 -0800

On 11/22/2011 11:02 AM, anbu_at_peoplestring.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In one of the discussions in this community, it was stated that once
> assigned, the name of a character cannot be changed. But I have noticed
> some characters have their name changed eg 'ARABIC LETTER YEH BARREE'
> (U+06D2) was previously named 'ARABIC LETTER YA BARREE'. Could anyone
> please clarify me on this?

Unicode 1.0 was merged with an ISO draft into a joint character
encoding. In this process, different naming conventions got
rationalized, and some other changes were made to make this merged
standard possible.

You will find that all policies that prevent certain changes have a
well-defined starting version. No changes are allowed for any new
version, but sometimes, certain changes were made in early versions.

See: http://www.unicode.org/policies/stability_policy.html

For names, this document states:

    *Name Stability*

    /*Applicable Version: Unicode 2.0+*/

    The Unicode Name property value for any non-reserved code point will
    not be changed. In particular, once a character is encoded, its name
    will not be changed.

As you can see, Unicode 1.0 names are explicitly not covered.

A./