Re: Code2000 on SourceForge

From: Luke-Jr <luke_at_dashjr.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:41:03 -0500

On Friday, February 03, 2012 1:48:56 PM Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Luke, IANAL but AFAIK the font exception is merely a *clarification* that
> using this font in a document does not constitute a derivative work but is
> merely "use" of the font so the document itself need not be GPL-ed. This is
> however true even without the clarification being explicitly stated and so
> you can perfectly use a GPL-ed font without any problems.

IANAL either, but the law (and judge) define what is or is not a derivative
work. Based on history, I would be surprised if they ruled it was not.

Unlike the Linux kernel clarification, the font exception is explicitly an
*exception* and there are notable legal opinions that without this exception,
at least embedding the font in a document is a derivative work:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal_considerations_for_fonts#allow-embedding

However, I am satisfied that James taking this position on the mailing list is
sufficient grounds to argue otherwise at least in this case, if it ever became
a legal matter.