Tamil Anusvara (U+0B82) glyph shape [ Re: [indic] Dot position in Gurmukhi character U+0A33]

From: N. Ganesan <naa.ganesan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 05:23:45 -0800

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM, John Hudson <john_at_tiro.ca> wrote:

> The Unicode chart for Gurmukhi script shows U+03AA with the nukta dot
positioned on the lower right side of the glyph. Every other font I have
looked at so far has the dot positioned on the left side (except for one
which has it centred below.

> Can anyone confirm which position is correct? The right side positioning
looks suspicious to me, as it is contrary to other nukta positioning, not
only in Gurmukhi but also other north Indian scripts: there is a general
preference towards the left side.

John,

This reminds us of the error in Tamil Anusvara sign, U+0B82, in the code
chart. Tamil anusvara sign is
used extensively for transliteration purposes, see the document L2/12-051
both in print and in the web,
there are many more examples. While 0b82 will *not* be deprecated as it is
in current and past use,
eventually its glyph needs to change to be in sync with neighboring
Dravidian scripts' anusvara glyph.

N. Ganesan
http://nganesan.blogspot.com