RE: [indic] Re: Tamil Anusvara (U+0B82) glyph shape [ Re: Dot position in Gurmukhi character U+0A33]

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:52:36 +0000

Srivas: You shouldn’t take a narrow view of the impact of the Tamil script. Apparently, there are people that embrace it even when trying to write text in languages other than the primary one it was associated with. This is not unlike people using Hangul script for phonetic transcription of other languages—which also does happen. In such cases, it is not uncommon that the script gets extended with additional characters or marks to accommodate sounds not used in the original language. This has happened for many of the world’s other major scripts, including Latin, Arabic, Cyrillic and others.

Peter