RE: [indic] Re: Tamil Anusvara (U+0B82) glyph shape [ Re: Dot position in Gurmukhi character U+0A33]

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:30:10 +0000

I very much suspect you are mistaken in those assumptions. Nevertheless, whether Tamil uses more sounds than this or that other language is immaterial. What matters is _in ­what ways is Tamil script adapted in actual usage_ to write other languages: if there is physical evidence that people have innovated certain additional written letters or marks for writing another language, then it really isn’t relevant whether those letters and marks were used to represent speech sounds already used for Tamil language. The fact that there is existing usage of characters makes them potential candidates for encoding, whatever their origin or the level of prestige (or lack thereof) attributed to them.

Peter