Re: [indic] Re: Tamil Anusvara (U+0B82) glyph shape [ Re: Dot position in Gurmukhi character U+0A33]

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:45:15 -0800

On 9 Feb 2012, at 14:35, Sinnathurai Srivas wrote:

> Michael,
>
> I had this discussion with many of the western theorists.
>
> I'm sure that you are sure what I mean by phoneme and what you apparently modify its meaning to make some ways.
>
> take it that by phonemes I mean different sounds.

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you CAN make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

In a case like this, of course, linguistic science has a definition of phoneme, and that is what linguists like me use.

Good luck. I'm done here.