Re: [indic] Re: Chillu LLL and its encoding in UTS (was: Re: Written Tamil and Srivas' Theory)

From: Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 01:26:03 +0530

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> N. Ganesan said on Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 05:32:48AM -0800,:
>
> > BTW, old Kannada has LLLA in Unicode as well, but wrongly named. Not
> only
> > that -
> > its codepoint is also wrong & does not match with the other 3 Dravdiain
> > scripts'
> > LLLA position.
>
> You mean U+0CDE?

I don't know whether *he* means that but that's the LLLA.

> Thanks for all this info. A final question - why use "LLLA" instead of
> ZHA?

Actually, in what way is "ZHA" better? Anyhow, I think they just named it
based on the Latin transliteration. So l ḷ ḻ got named as LA LLA LLLA.

> So, how is Devanagari U0934 supposed to be pronounced?

The same way as South Indian LLLA characters would be! Otherwise how would
it be an equivalent to them?

> Is it worth / possible to modify the description to
>
> "[KANNADA | MALAYALAM | TELEGU | TAMIL] LETTER ZHA" ?

No -- character names once encoded cannot be changed. And even in our
recent Telugu proposal we had named it LLLA to keep in pattern with the
existing characters.

--
Shriramana Sharma