Re: [indic] Re: Chillu LLL and its encoding in UTS (was: Re: Written Tamil and Srivas' Theory)

From: Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:25:35 +0530

N. Ganesan said on Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 05:32:48AM -0800,:

> BTW, old Kannada has LLLA in Unicode as well, but wrongly named. Not only
> that -
> its codepoint is also wrong & does not match with the other 3 Dravdiain
> scripts'
> LLLA position.

You mean U+0CDE?

> Just last, Suresh Kolichala et al., have asked for LLLA in Telugu script
> & UTC has granted the encoding. Apart from a very few inscriptional
> occurrences,
> the real practical use for Telugu LLLA is transliteration from
> Malayalam, Tamil Grantha, Old Kannada texts.

Thanks for all this info. A final question - why use "LLLA" instead of
ZHA?

So, how is Devanagari U0934 supposed to be pronounced?

Is it worth / possible to modify the description to

"[KANNADA | MALAYALAM | TELEGU | TAMIL] LETTER ZHA" ?

I know it does not make a difference from computing PoV, but people
with half baked knowledge are likely to get mislead, I think.

I hope I have not stirred up a hornet's nest.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||
Man's most judicious trait, is a good sense of what not to believe.