Re: Combining latin small letters with diacritics

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 20:56:40 +0100

Note that the first alternative is the one used in the DAM for
encoding a separate COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER A/O/U WITH DIAERESIS

But the document cited by Denis gives a much more productive way that
allows stacking any kind of letters with its diacritics. There won't
be enough space in the BMP for such Latin supplements.

The alternative could be to encode only a single combining diacritic
(or format control) meaning "Stack the next grapheme cluster above the
previous one", to override the normal side-by-side presentation of
successive grapheme clusters. and eventually a similar special
diacritic or control to create a stack below.