Re: Combining latin small letters with diacritics

From: Denis Jacquerye <moyogo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:32:36 +0100

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Ken Whistler <kenw_at_sybase.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/2012 2:01 PM, Denis Jacquerye wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't CGJ be useful in some way in cases like that of the cedilla
>> or the light centralization stroke 1AB9 ?
>> "Base character + combining letter + CGJ + combining cedilla" would be
>> clear, the cedilla would not be moved.
>

> How is that simpler than "Base character + combining-c-cedilla" ? --which is
> what the
> users want.
>
> Trying to introduce recursion of decomposition into these kinds of combining
> marks just creates a mess, IMO.

I guess it's less messy than other situations. I just couldn't help
wondering why combining letters with diacritics are being encoded but
letters with diacritics or out of the question.

>> 1DEC is not based on a character that itself is decomposable, at least
>> the way things are, so it's not on topic.
>>

> Actually, c-cedilla *is* decomposable, which is precisely why it *is* on
> topic.
> See U+00E7, which has a canonical decomposition mapping.

I should have pointed 1DEC is COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH
DOUBLE MIDDLE TILDE, at least in N4244. It is not decomposable, or am
I wrong there?

Thanks for answering and clarifying things in any case.

--
Denis Moyogo Jacquerye