Re: Combining latin small letters with diacritics

From: Jeremie Hornus <jeremie_at_hornus.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:43:16 +0200

On 26 Mar 2012, at 13:35, Denis Jacquerye wrote:

> So far the linguistic atlases I have seen extensively use this
> combining letter mechanism, with diacritics changing the meaning of
> the combining letter or of the base letter.
>
> There are a whole lot of notations that could simply be base combining
> letter + combining diacritics, but if you consider their meaning,
> would have to be encoded a their own combining letter with diacritics
> on the model of combining a-umlaut, etc... This is not coherent with
> the decomposition model.
>
> Having some of the combining letters with diacritics encoded as single
> characters and other combining letters with diacritics encoded as
> combining letters with separate combining diacritics based on what
> meaning they have is as erroneous as having new precomposed characters
> because of their meaning. Would we encode ɛ̱ because it is a specific
> meaning in some language? Obviously no.

Encoding is supposed to be "language-independent" but that's theoretical,
in practice it cannot be independent to _some_ language.
And the "business-language" for encoding seems to have been english so far,
at least as far as I understand Unicode.

> So why are we encoding ä when
> it is a combining diacritic but not ẽ?

That is a reminiscence of the history of type-encoding.