Re: Characters LAM and ALIF together (ligature) in Arabic

From: Jeremie Hornus <jeremie_at_hornus.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:34:45 +0200

On 26 Mar 2012, at 09:08, Escape Landsome wrote:

> The problem is by now (in my mailer) it appears as (the ligature) +
> ALIF, which is incorrect

That is a problem.

> On the website, it appears as (plain LAM) + (plain ALIF), which is incorrect too

That is OK.
This ligature was introduced in early arabic fonts and it's a traditional calligraphic 'letter' so, one expects to see it everywhere, but the two plain letters 'lam' + 'alif' is also readable. There are plenty more ligatures possible in ornate arabic, as in greek for instance.