Variant glyphs for mathematical symbols

From: Asmus Freytag <>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 18:36:36 -0700

First question:

When the integral symbols were encoded in Unicode there was
discussion of the fact that these were deliberately unifying an
upright and a slanted style of integral.

Now, I'm pretty sure that I've seen both styles in print at
some point, but I can't seem to find any TrueType or OpenType
fonts that support the slanted style. Or, I may just not know
where to look.

Is this style still in use anywhere, and do people make or maintain
fonts for it?

Second question:

When the mathematical relations were encoded there were
variants that were unified where the sole difference was
something subtle like a slant of one of the lines.

However, these variants were also given Standardized
Variation Sequences. Are there any fonts that contain
glyphs for these variant forms? Either as replacement for
the more typical forms, or as alternate glyphs?

Again, I may simply not know where to look.


PS: should these symbols exist in non-Truetype fonts
I'd be interested in pointers as well, but preferably
from someone who would know how to convert
them into TrueType format.
Received on Sun May 06 2012 - 20:42:16 CDT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Sun May 06 2012 - 20:42:18 CDT