Re: Variant glyphs for mathematical symbols

From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny_at_eglug.org>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 12:03:04 +0200

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 06:36:36PM -0700, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> First question:
>
> When the integral symbols were encoded in Unicode there was
> discussion of the fact that these were deliberately unifying an
> upright and a slanted style of integral.
>
> Now, I'm pretty sure that I've seen both styles in print at
> some point, but I can't seem to find any TrueType or OpenType
> fonts that support the slanted style. Or, I may just not know
> where to look.
>
> Is this style still in use anywhere, and do people make or maintain
> fonts for it?

Latin Modern Math font has slanted integrals:
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/lm-math

XITS Math have default slanted integrals as well as optional upright
ones:
https://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math

Both fonts use the new OpenType MATH table and thus need an application
that support it for proper math typesetting, namely MS Office 2007+,
XeTeX and LuaTeX.

STIX fonts also provide both:
http://stixfonts.org/

> Second question:
>
> When the mathematical relations were encoded there were
> variants that were unified where the sole difference was
> something subtle like a slant of one of the lines.
>
> However, these variants were also given Standardized
> Variation Sequences. Are there any fonts that contain
> glyphs for these variant forms? Either as replacement for
> the more typical forms, or as alternate glyphs?
>
> Again, I may simply not know where to look.

XITS Math supports the mathematical variants using variation sequences
that are listed here:
http://unicode.org/reports/tr25/tr25-9.html#_Toc218

> PS: should these symbols exist in non-Truetype fonts
> I'd be interested in pointers as well, but preferably
> from someone who would know how to convert
> them into TrueType format.

Many TeX math fonts have slanted integrals.

Regards,
 Khaled