Re: BabelMap updated to 6.1

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 09:26:47 +0300

2012-05-28 8:48, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Jukka K. Korpela<jkorpela_at_cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>> BabelMap has been bundled into BabelPad, and installing the newest version
>> of BabelPad from
>> http://www.babelstone.co.uk/software/babelpad.html
>> gets you the new BabelMap version too.
>
> If this is so then why isn't this mentioned on the website?

Beats me. The BabelPad page casually mentions “the BabelMap edit buffer”
in the description of a function.

> Anyhow, I believe many people would like to use an independent
> character picker along with their favourite editor or whatever...

BabelPad is about 8 MB versus the 7 MB of BabelMap, so I would say that
BabelPad is basically BabelMap with added functionality, like normal
text editor functions and some added tools for inserting characters
(e.g., pinyin lookup).

I’m not sure whether BabelMap has some functionality that BabelPad
hasn’t got (there are differences in menus), but I don’t find any
additional tools for picking characters. You still have to copy them to
the clipboard.

Yucca