Re: Flag tags (was: Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign)

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 18:33:08 +0100 (BST)

Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org> wrote:

> A seemingly straightforward solution to the “unambiguous mapping” problem would be to use the existing Plane 14 tag letters along with a new FLAG TAG, say at U+E0002. Then <E0002, E0043, E0048> would unequivocally denote the current Swiss flag. No need for separate lead and trail. Simple.

> ... What’s that? Oh, sorry, never mind. Deprecated.

On a point of order, is deprecation of a character or collection of characters carried out by only the Unicode Technical Committee or by both of the Unicode Technical Committee and the ISO/IEC 10646 Committee?

Further to that point of order, is there any rule that absolutely prevents the deprecated status of a character or collection of characters being removed?

I feel that by hybridizing the suggestions of Doug and Philippe that an elegant solution using tags and an advanced format font could be designed.

William Overington