Re: Flag tags

From: Asmus Freytag <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:51:34 -0700

On 5/31/2012 9:34 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
> On 31 May 2012, at 17:26, Asmus Freytag wrote:
>> you put your finger on it. Any form of combining scheme is doomed to fail.
> That's why was the right solution.

No Michael.

While I've come to the conclusion that encoding some form of
combinatorial tags is indeed doomed, I don't believe that encoding
images for codes (or if you will, ASCII strings) is the answer - that's
meta encoding of a different sort.

The right answer would have been to encode the 10 flags and then agree
to *study* the needs for and best solutions available to address a more
comprehensive system "at a future date". The main problem I see in that
regard is impatience.

It's like with currency symbols - you code things when there's
demonstrated demand, you don't put place holders in, and you don't give
codes to all the three letter currency codes (like "USD" "CND" etc.).