Re: Tags and future new technologies (from RE: Flag tags (was: Re: Unicode 6.2 to Support the Turkish Lira Sign))

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 01:52:21 +0200

The principales used in ISO 3166, and those used for the extension of
language tags (with its locale extension subtags) could work as well.

If the first need is to represent current country flags simply
(ignoring the dated versions), and the first level of subdivisions in
those countries, then ISO 3166 already provides the basic codes (we
just need the convention that any codes that consists in two letters,
or start by two letters, and hyphen must obey to ISO 3166-1 or ISO
3166-2. Further extensions will wait the development of a more
complete registry, which will allow defining codes using other
prefixes acting like namespaces.

ISO 3166 also realsy has codes for private use, notably any code
starting by "X", so that the registry can preserve the use of the
prefix "X-", while keeping for itself some other prefix staring by "X
and another letter.

These mechanisms are not really new and easy to understand as they
work in other standards. We don't need to reinvent the wheel.