Re: Regional Indicator Symbols

From: Jean-François Colson <jf_at_colson.eu>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 06:24:21 +0200

Le 03/06/12 05:45, Jean-François Colson a écrit :

>> Read http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3727.pdf . This mechanism
>> is part of Unicode, and adding another one such as Philippe's to
>> accomplish basically the same thing would be a form of duplicate
>> encoding.
>
> Nice! But that is restricted to two-letter codes. That system provides
> no way to encode the flag of Québec.
> Phillipe’s system would be more comprehensive.

At least we could complete those 26 regional indicator symbols with 10
digits, a hyphen and, perhaps, a few possible additional regional
indicator symbols as required.
The minimum set of additions would be, for example,
1F650 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT ZERO
1F651 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT ONE
1F652 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT TWO
1F653 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT THREE
1F654 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT FOUR
1F655 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT FIVE
1F656 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT SIX
1F657 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT SEVEN
1F658 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT EIGHT
1F659 REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL DIGIT NINE
1F65A REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL HYPHEN

But that would be difficult (not impossible) to parse because the length
varies following the countries.
That’s why I think Philippe’s idea, with distinct initial, medial and
final symbols, would be better.

JF