Re: Offlist: complex rendering

From: Christopher Fynn <chris.fynn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:24:22 +0600

Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com>

Naena - If you don't like Unicode, then develop your own character
encoding and try to get your country to adopt it as a national
standard - but please stop trying to abuse Unicode and OpenType by
attempting to warp them to conform to your scheme.

You could also quite easily create an IME that accepts transliterated
Sinhala typed on a QWERTY keyboard using Latin characters and converts
those to proper Unicode Sinhala characters. That would *much* better
than trying to use complex script rendering to get transliterated
Sinhala.

BTW This kind of idea is not new - about 12 years ago I messed around
with using complex script rendering to display transliterated
(romanized) Tibetan withTibetan glyphs (it is fairly easy to do using
Graphite instead of OpenType) - however I didn't make the mistake of
actually assigning some of those Tibetan glyphs to Latin code points.