Re: Offlist: complex rendering

From: John H. Jenkins <jenkins_at_apple.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:49:44 -0700

Naena Guru <naenaguru_at_gmail.com> 於 2012年6月18日 下午3:50 寫道:

> Unicode says that it is all about codes and not shapes. It gave two examples, Fraktur and Gaelic as scripts allowed to reside on Latin-1 but have shapes not expected of Latin-1. That makes me wonder if Singhala is frowned upon because it is not European. There is no other excuse because English was one time romanized from fuþorc.

I'm going to regret this, but:

Unicode specifies semantics, not shapes. The reason that drawing Latin characters with Sinhalese glyphs is incorrect is that they have different character semantics—that is, they behave differently. It has nothing to do with Unicode failing to specify shapes.

=====
Siôn ap-Rhisiart
John H. Jenkins
jenkins_at_apple.com