Re: ASSAMESE AND BENGALI CONTROVERSY IN UNICODE STANDARD ::::: SOLUTIONS

From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:11:56 +0100

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:37:48 +0100
Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com> wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2012, at 10:10, Satyakam Phukan wrote:

> No, the inheritors of the Roman heritage are Aragonese, Aromanian,
> Arpitan, Asturian, Catalan Corsican, Emiliano-Romagnolo, French,
> Friulan, Galician, Italian, Jčrriais, Ladino, Leonese, Lombard,
> Mirandese, Neapolitan, Occitan, Picard, Piedmontese, Portuguese,
> Romanian, Romansh, Sardinian, Sicilian, Spanish, Venetian, and
> Walloon. And various French-, Portuguese-, and Spanish-based creoles.

To extend the list, the Irish, Scots, English, Scandinavians and Poles
picked up the Roman heritage without the assistance of being physically
conquered. And the Romanians re-established it as an expression of
non-Slavness.

> > How will it be if the Latin script is called the English script as
> > is called so, by many ignorant people in the third world countries.

> It's fine. Its just fine. We already call it "Latin". And we, the
> English speakers, who are in the minority compared to the Romance
> speakers, do not consider this to be in any way problematic or
> "controversial".

You typographers may be happy to call it the 'Latin script', but to
most of us it is still the '*Roman* alphabet'.

Richard.