Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:19:30 +0200

May be we could add new resources in the CLDR for specifying the
prefered characters used by the four basic maths operators (normally
we already have the specifiation for the uniary plus and minus signs,
but I'm not sure that this implies their use for noting the binary
operators used in additions and substractions).

Note that several characters could be listed, the first one being the
preferred one, others being also possible when they don't create
confusions, for usual simple mathematical notations.

For scientific papers however these resources will not be used : each
operator uses the international conventions (if there's no prior
définition) and have very precise glyphs that must be consistent
within each document or even between collections of related documents
: if the symbols need to be differentiated (e.g. a middle dot, an
asterisk, an x-like symbol centered on the mathematical line, they
have their own initial definition in the document or in an explicit
reference, to disambiguate things). Those scientific papers however
are most often composed with TeX (or some visual formula editors which
do not produce plain text) and not initially composed using the UCS
encoding.