Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny_at_eglug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 02:51:54 +0200

They are spaced differently. Attached how they are rendered by TeX,
using its default spacing rules, the first is the ratio (which is spaced
as a relational symbol) and the second is the colon (which is spaced as
punctuation mark), both in math mode, and the last one is the colon in
text mode.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 04:22:06PM -0700, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
> I would disagree about the preference for ratio; I think it is a historical
> accident in Unicode.
>
> What people use and have used for ratio is simply a colon. One writes 3:5, and
> I doubt that there was a well-established visual difference that demanded a
> separate code for it, so someone would need to write 3∶5 instead.
>
> Mark
>
> — Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —
>

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> U+2236 RATIO
> * Used in preference to 003A : to denote division or scale

texput.png